Apples as you know it, have been in the limelight for quite sometime now, for being the super healthy fruit. This juicy deliciousness is packed with a whole bunch of beneficial nutrients. And what could be a better way to use it in a dessert, than an Apple Pie.
Apple Pie is one of the most comforting desserts of all time. The warm cinnamon brings in a cozy vibe. It is one of the wholesome desserts of all time. But the butter and sugar in it might take a toll on one’s health if consumed regularly. So We have come up with this healthy version, which gives a slight twist to the original one, so as to make it more nutritious.
Following are some of the healthy ingredients used in this recipe, along with their respective health benefits :
1) Amaranth Flour (“Rajgira”)
- Amaranth is a pseudocereal.
- It can be used in recipes to be made gluten free.
- Being high in fibre, It is easily digestible.
- It is said to be beneficial for the immunity system as it contains antioxidants, which protects the body against harmful free radicals.
- It also reduces inflammation and thus gives relief from pain.
- It is good for the heart health as it reduces cholesterol levels in the body. As a results helps in maintaining the blood pressure.
- It is also an appetite depressant, as a result is responsible for reduction in weight. It also helps in muscle build up and absorbs calcium well.
- The leaves of amaranth plant improves skin and hair health, as it has a protein named lysine, which our body is incapable of producing.
- Amaranth leaves are said to improve eye health due to its vitamin A content.
- Jaggery is a natural sweetener extracted naturally from the sugarcane juice.
- Jaggery is supposed to be HEATING in nature ( According to AYURVEDA).
- So it is mostly consumed in winters, in order to provide warmth to the body.
- A combination of jaggery and sesame seeds is said to treat RESPIRATORY PROBLEMS. As it maintained the body temperature for a long time, it can be used to treat cough and cold.
- It maintains the acid levels in the body, hence is super beneficial for maintaining BLOOD PRESSURE. As a result it also maintains the electrolyte levels in the body and reduction the water retention, so helps in WEIGHT LOSS too.
- It activates some digestive enzymes, which eases digestion and gives relief from constipation.
- Especially during summer season, it is recommended to consume jaggery with some warm water, which has a cooling effect for the body and helps boost the metabolism, thus reducing weight.
- It is good energy source as it is a complex carbohydrate. It gets slowly broken down and is slowly absorbed by the body, thus providing energy for a longer duration.
- It has high amount of antioxidants, as a result it acts as an IMUNITY BOOSTER.
- It increases the haemoglobin levels in the blood. It is also a blood purifier and can be used to treat acne or pimples.
- It is a natural cleanser and helps in DETOXIFYING LIVER.
- It gives relief from menstrual pain and reduces PMS by releasing endorphins.
- Being a natural diuretic, it is said to cure URINARY PROBLEMS by reducing the bladder inflammation and stimulation urination.
- It helps treat joint/ bone problems, if consumed with small amounts of fresh ginger.
- According to AYURVEDA, Apples are of astringent nature, means they are dry in nature and thus can increase the VATA DOSHA. Hence apples must be cooked and consumed. Cooked apples are said to maintain all the DOSHAS.
- It has large amounts of pectin (structural fibre) , which combines with the FATS in our body and prevents their absorption.
- It is also said to regulation cholesterol levels and blood sugar levels.
- it contains antioxidants, thus improving IMMUNITY.
- It improves digestion and gives relief in case of dysentery or diarrhoea. Hence regulating the BIWEL MOVEMENTS.
- it helps in treating bleeding gums as well. Also increases salivation.
- It is said be a LIVER CLEANSER.
Yield: Approximately 10 inches Apple Pie
– PIE CRUST :
- Amaranth Flour – 1/2 Cup ( 60 grams )
- Whole Wheat Flour – 1/2 Cup ( 55 grams )
- Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
- Baking Soda – 1/2 teaspoon
- Jaggery Powder – 1/8 Cup ( 30 Grams )
- Olive Oil – 1/4 Cup ( 36 grams )
– APPLESAUCE :
- Apples – 2
- Cinnamon – 1/8 teaspoon
- Lemon Juice – 1/2 teaspoon
- Jaggery Powder – 20 grams
- Apple, peeled and sliced – 3
– PIE CRUST :
- Preheat the oven to 375 degree Fahrenheit (165 degree Celsius).
- In a large mixing bowl, sift in the amaranth flour and whole wheat flour.
- Then add in the leavening agents, i.e. the baking powder and baking soda to it. Mix well with a wire whisk.
- Now add in the jaggery powder and mix well.
- Make a hole in the middle of all the dry ingredients and add the olive oil into it.
- Switch to a spatula and mix everything thoroughly,until a soft dough is formed.
- Take a pie dish and spread the dough into it evenly.
- Pierce it with a fork so that the crust does not blow up. (The crust can also be blind baked)
- Bake it in a preheated oven at 375 degree Fahrenheit (165 degree Celsius) for around 12-15 minutes until the crust seems to be half baked or the corner turns into a light golden colour.
– APPLESAUCE :
- Take the apples, peel and core them.
- Dice them into roughly and add into into a food processor or mixer grinder and process them, until a thick paste is obtained.
- Take the paste into a medium sized heavy bottom saucepan.
- Put the saucepan on medium heat.
- Add in the jaggery powder, cinnamon and lemon juice to it.
- Cook it until the jaggery dissolves and all the moisture from the apples evaporates.
- Once the apple sauce start leaving the sides of the pan, switch off the flame and keep it aside to cool down.
– GARNISH :
- Peel the apples and core them.
- Slice them into thin semicircular slices and soak in lemon water, so that they do not oxidise.
– ASSEMBLING :
- Once the pie crust is baked, top it with the prepared apple sauce and spread it evenly.
- now start placing the apple slices in a Rose pattern. Keep placing the slices in concentric circles until the apple sauce is totally covered with the apple slices.
- Now sprinkle some cinnamon sugar on top.
- Bake it in a preheated oven at 375 degree Fahrenheit (165 degree Celsius) for around 18-20 minutes, until the crust had completely baked and turned into a dark golden brown colour and the apples on the top have softened.
- Do not over bake the pie crust, while blind baking. ( Baking the crust alone with some pie weights [ stone, dry green peas] )
- Cook the apple sauce until all the moisture evaporated, if not done so, the moist apple sauce could make the pie crust soggy.
- Do not over bake the assembled pie, doing so could make the apples slices on top to become dry and tasteless.