Are you GUILTY of having the STORE BOUGHT COOKIE?
Do you DROOL over the very famous “NANKHATAI”?
This healthy cookie claims to take away all the unhealthy elements of these usual cookie recipes out, and at the same time, provides immense health benefits.
I promise it will exceed all your expectations and you will not regret trying out these cookies. They are full of nutrition and super simple to whip up.
Following are some of the healthy ingredients used in this recipe, along with their respective health benefits :
1) Semolina (“SUJI”)
- It is a coarse form of wheat.
- Being high in fibre, It is easily digestible. It helps in the growth of good bacteria in the body.
- It is said to be beneficial for the immunity system as it contains antioxidants (Selenium), which protects the body against harmful free radicals.
- It is good for the heart health as it reduces the bad cholesterol (LDL) levels in the body.
- It controls the appetite, hence, as a result is responsible for reduction in weight.
- Being high in fibre, it is slowly broken down in the body, thus providing energy for a longer time.
- It also increases the muscle strength.
- Being high in Iron, It gives relief from anaemia.
- It is also said to reduce the blood sugar levels, due to its fibre and magnesium contents.
- Jaggery is a natural sweetener extracted naturally from the sugarcane juice.
- Jaggery is supposed to be HEATING in nature ( According to AYURVEDA).
- So it is mostly consumed in winters, in order to provide warmth to the body.
- A combination of jaggery and sesame seeds is said to treat RESPIRATORY PROBLEMS. As it maintained the body temperature for a long time, it can be used to treat cough and cold.
- It maintains the acid levels in the body, hence is super beneficial for maintaining BLOOD PRESSURE. As a result it also maintains the electrolyte levels in the body and reduction the water retention, so helps in WEIGHT LOSS too.
- It activates some digestive enzymes, which eases digestion and gives relief from constipation.
- Especially during summer season, it is recommended to consume jaggery with some warm water, which has a cooling effect for the body and helps boost the metabolism, thus reducing weight.
- It is good energy source as it is a complex carbohydrate. It gets slowly broken down and is slowly absorbed by the body, thus providing energy for a longer duration.
- It has high amount of antioxidants, as a result it acts as an IMUNITY BOOSTER.
- It increases the haemoglobin levels in the blood. It is also a blood purifier and can be used to treat acne or pimples.
- It is a natural cleanser and helps in DETOXIFYING LIVER.
- It gives relief from menstrual pain and reduces PMS by releasing endorphins.
- Being a natural diuretic, it is said to cure URINARY PROBLEMS by reducing the bladder inflammation and stimulation urination.
- It helps treat joint/ bone problems, if consumed with small amounts of fresh ginger.
- According to AYURVEDA, Curd is the only fermented SATTVIC food.
- It improves digestion as it has a binding quality. It gives relief from BLOATING and CONSTIPATION.
- It provides strength by absorption of nutrients essential to the body.
- There are 2 types curds :
- 1) Sweet Curds
- – It is cooling in nature.
- – It pacifies VATA , PITTA DOSHA and increases the KAPHA DOSHA.
- – It increases the fats in the fats.
- 2) Sour Curds
- – It is heating in nature.
- – It pacifies the VATA DOSHA and increases the PITTA , KAPHA DOSHA.
- – It increases the digestive fire, hence increasing the PITTA DOSHA.
4) Ghee (“Clarified Butter)
- Though clarified butter is high in fats, it works wonders if consumed in limited quantities.
- It contains healthy fats, which helps in weight loss.
- It has fat soluble vitamins and fatty acids which protects the body against plaque and ultimately reduces the cholesterol levels in the body.
- Ghee keeps the body warm, thus providing energy.
- It increases the flexibility.
- It improves eye health.
- It is said to increase immunity by increasing the absorption of essential herbs and spices and also helps in reaching them to the necessary parts of the body.
Yield: Approximately 300-350 grams of cookies.
- Refrigerated ghee (Clarified Butter) – 3 Tablespoons
- Olive Oil – 1 Tablespoon
- Jaggery Powder – 1/4 Cup + 3 Teaspoons ( 80 Grams )
- Thick curd – 1 Tablespoon
- Semolina (Suji) – 3/4 Cup ( 150 grams )
- Almond meal – 1/4 Cup ( 24 grams )
- Fennel seeds Powder – 2 Tablespoons
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the refrigerated ghee, olive oil and jaggery powder..
- Whisk it well until the jaggery melts and the mixture turns pale in colour and fluffy.
- Add in the thick curd (yogurt) in the above mixture and mix well.
- Pour in the semolina and the almond meal.
- Switch to a spatula and mix everything thoroughly,until a soft dough is formed.
- Shape the dough into a log, flattening all the four sides. Wrap it into a cling film.
- Place the dough in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours.
- Remove the dough and let it sit on the counter for 5 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 375 degree Fahrenheit (165 degree Celsius).
- Take the dough and slice 1 cm slices out of the log.
- Place them all on a parchment lined baking tray and sprinkle some fennel seeds’ powder on each cookie.
- Bake it in a preheated oven at 375 degree Fahrenheit (165 degree Celsius) for around 12-15 minutes until the cornerS turns into a light golden colour.
- Let them sit on the tray for 15-20 minutes until completely cool.
- They cookies are ready to be savoured with a cup of warm tea/coffee without being guilty of having one.
- Do not miss the step of freezing the dough in the refrigerator as it helps to maintain the cookie spread.
- Bake the cookie just until the edges turn golden. They might seem soft when they come out of the oven, they will eventually become crispy once they cool down.