Bananas are the most comforting and wholesome fruit, glued with a range of health benefits. Both unriped as well as ripened bananas have their share of nutrients. The best way to use the goodness of this fruit is to bake it into the heavenly Banana bread/cake. It is one of the most palatable desserts ever.
This recipe is a variation the a banana cake, to make it healthier and tastier. It has an amalgamation of all the nutritious alternatives around. The recipe has the fibre rich Semolina, pure and moisturising Ghee, good bacteria rich Curd and one of the best sugar alternatives, which is jaggery.
Following are some of the healthy ingredients used in this recipe, along with their respective health benefits :
1) Semolina (“SUJI”)
- It is a coarse form of wheat.
- Being high in fibre, It is easily digestible. It helps in the growth of good bacteria in the body.
- It is said to be beneficial for the immunity system as it contains antioxidants (Selenium), which protects the body against harmful free radicals.
- It is good for the heart health as it reduces the bad cholesterol (LDL) levels in the body.
- It controls the appetite, hence, as a result is responsible for reduction in weight.
- Being high in fibre, it is slowly broken down in the body, thus providing energy for a longer time.
- It also increases the muscle strength.
- Being high in Iron, It gives relief from anaemia.
- It is also said to reduce the blood sugar levels, due to its fibre and magnesium contents.
- Jaggery is a natural sweetener extracted naturally from the sugarcane juice.
- Jaggery is supposed to be HEATING in nature ( According to AYURVEDA).
- So it is mostly consumed in winters, in order to provide warmth to the body.
- A combination of jaggery and sesame seeds is said to treat RESPIRATORY PROBLEMS. As it maintained the body temperature for a long time, it can be used to treat cough and cold.
- It maintains the acid levels in the body, hence is super beneficial for maintaining BLOOD PRESSURE. As a result it also maintains the electrolyte levels in the body and reduction the water retention, so helps in WEIGHT LOSS too.
- It activates some digestive enzymes, which eases digestion and gives relief from constipation.
- Especially during summer season, it is recommended to consume jaggery with some warm water, which has a cooling effect for the body and helps boost the metabolism, thus reducing weight.
- It is good energy source as it is a complex carbohydrate. It gets slowly broken down and is slowly absorbed by the body, thus providing energy for a longer duration.
- It has high amount of antioxidants, as a result it acts as an IMUNITY BOOSTER.
- It increases the haemoglobin levels in the blood. It is also a blood purifier and can be used to treat acne or pimples.
- It is a natural cleanser and helps in DETOXIFYING LIVER.
- It gives relief from menstrual pain and reduces PMS by releasing endorphins.
- Being a natural diuretic, it is said to cure URINARY PROBLEMS by reducing the bladder inflammation and stimulation urination.
- It helps treat joint/ bone problems, if consumed with small amounts of fresh ginger.
- According to AYURVEDA, Curd is the only fermented SATTVIC food.
- It improves digestion as it has a binding quality. It gives relief from BLOATING and CONSTIPATION.
- It provides strength by absorption of nutrients essential to the body.
- There are 2 types curds :
- 1) Sweet Curds
- – It is cooling in nature.
- – It pacifies VATA , PITTA DOSHA and increases the KAPHA DOSHA.
- – It increases the fats in the fats.
- 2) Sour Curds
- – It is heating in nature.
- – It pacifies the VATA DOSHA and increases the PITTA , KAPHA DOSHA.
- – It increases the digestive fire, hence increasing the PITTA DOSHA.
4) Ghee (“Clarified Butter)
- Though clarified butter is high in fats, it works wonders if consumed in limited quantities.
- It contains healthy fats, which helps in weight loss.
- It has fat soluble vitamins and fatty acids which protects the body against plaque and ultimately reduces the cholesterol levels in the body.
- Ghee keeps the body warm, thus providing energy.
- It increases the flexibility.
- It improves eye health.
- It is said to increase immunity by increasing the absorption of essential herbs and spices and also helps in reaching them to the necessary parts of the body.
- Banana is said to be high in carbohydrates, thus is good source of energy.
- It helps in restoring electrolytes, thus improving circulation and heart health.
- Bananas are food for the muscles, as a result providing strength to the body.
- It acts as a demulcent, helping functioning of lungs and sinus.
- It is Grounding in nature and provides peace to the mind and stress free sleep.
- It provides nutrition the skin, acting as a skin tonic and providing immense glow.
- 1) Raw Banana
- – It is cooling in nature.
- – It is astringent in taste and turns pungent after digestion.
- – It increases the VATA DOSHA and pacifies the PITTA and KAPHA DOSHA.
- – It helps in building muscles.
- – It aids in constipation.
- – It is said to cure PITTA DOSHA and blood related diseases.
- 2) Ripe Banana
- – It is heating in nature.
- – It is Sweet in taste and turns sour after digestion.
- – It pacifies the VATA DOSHA and increases the PITTA, PAKHA DOSHA.
- – It also helps in building muscles.
- – It promotes taste and thus control appetite.
- – It aids in proper urination too.
Yield: Approximately 4 inches cake
- Semolina (Suji) – 1 Cup ( 167 grams )
- Baking powder – 3/4 teaspoon
- Baking Soda – 1/4 teaspoon
- Jaggery Powder – 1/4 Cup – 2 tablespoons ( 44 Grams )
- Ghee, melted – 1/4 Cup (49 grams)
- Curd, room temperature – 1/2 Cup (127 grams)
- Milk, room temperature – 1/2 Cup (118 grams)
- Banana, over-riped – 1
- Preheat the oven to 375 degree Fahrenheit (165 degree Celsius).
- In a mixer jar, add in the banana and jaggery powder. Pulse it until the jaggery powder is dissolved and banana is mashed well.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the jaggery banana mix and add in ghee, curd and milk. Mix well.
- Add in the semolina in the above mix and whisk well.
- Once the mixture is well combines, place a lid on the mixing bowl and let it sit on the counter for half an hour until the semolina soaks in all the moisture and fluffs up.
- Then add in the leavening agents, i.e. the baking powder and baking soda to it. Mix well with a wire whisk.
- Pour in the batter into a 4 inch baking tin and spread it evenly.
- Bake it in a preheated oven at 375 degree Fahrenheit (165 degree Celsius) for around 12-15 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the top turns into a light golden colour.
- Let the jaggery powder melt completely before adding rest of the ingredients.
- The bananas can be mashed with a fork as well.
- Do not forget to rest the batter, as the semolina could remain dry and dehydrated.
- Do not over bake the batter, it is a bit difficult to estimate the done ness of the cake as the cake does not rise a lot.