Graham crackers are perfect for a lazy Sunday evening to be relished with a refreshing cup of tea. It is one of the most nutritious cookie varieties(if baked using whole wheat flour and honey), yet the most appetizing one.
Originally invented as a snack, this biscuit variety is nothing less than a healthy combo. It comprises of super foods like whole wheat flour, cinnamon and honey/sugar. This is a simple recipe with delicious results.
Yield: 12 graham crackers
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar, granulated
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ egg
- 1/8 cup oil
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat the oven to 165 degree Celsius. Line a baking pan with parchment paper and keep aside.
- Whisk together sieved whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, salt, cinnamon powder, baking powder and baking soda in a large mixing bowl.
- In another mixing bowl, beat the egg.
- Add oil and milk to the whisked egg.
- Add the dry ingredients mixture in parts to above mixture and mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface and cut in desired shapes.
- Apply some egg white and dock with a fork.
- Bake at 160 degree Celsius for about 15-20 minutes or until the crust becomes golden brown.
- ¼ cup sugar in the above recipe can be replaced with 1/8 cup of sugar + 1/8 cup of honey.
- Whole wheat flour can be replaced with equal quantities of oats flour.
- Remove crackers from oven when bit soft, as they tend to become harder when cooled.