It was a hot-hot Indian summer afternoon; I sat back on my couch relishing a bright, fresh and colourful fruit ice-candy. It took me back the memory lane when one bite into the frozen candy, would anaesthetize the lips and the tongue, would pass a cool thunder through the throat, would charge up the whole body and would be the reason for a big smile.
The summers in India are harsh as hell. A cool refreshing treat is a one shot way to beat the hot spell of a summer afternoon. The cherry on the cake is if the cool bomb is an ice-candy. And what could be better than making it yourself.
Yield: approximately 6 ice-candies
- 2 cups diced watermelon
- 2 cups diced muskmelon
- 2 cups halved black grapes
- 2 tablespoons sugar (if required)
- Take the watermelon pieces and juice in a juicer for 4-5 minutes. Sieve the juice in order to remove any left seeds bites.
- taste the juice and add sugar if required.
- Take the ice-candy mould and fill 1/3 of each mould with the watermelon juice. Cover with lids and place stick in between.
- Freeze them for almost an hour or until top of the ice lolly is set.
- Meantime prepare muskmelon juice similar to what we did for the watermelon.
- Put muskmelon juice up to 2/3 of mould height and freeze.
- Repeat same procedure for Grapes but do not sieve the juice so as to enjoy the irregularly sized grape pieces while enjoying the candy.
- Freeze for 4-5 hours or until the lolly is totally set.
- Enjoy chilled.
- Take care that you remove seeds from all the fruits used in the recipe.