Yet another interesting candidate in the wide range of cookies is pretzels. Being one of the most traditional varieties; its prominent shape signifies “hands in prayer”. These twisted beauties are said to get good luck and prosperity.
Perfect crunchy top and soft texture inside is what makes a perfect evening snack with a cup of refreshment. Especially the sugar sprinkled on top makes it the top choice.
Yield: Almost 40-45 pretzels
- ¼ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/8 cup (30 grams) fine sugar + extra for sprinkling over pretzels
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg + ½ egg yolk
- 1 cup(225 grams) all-purpose flour
- Whisk butter and granulated sugar in the medium sized bowl until creamy. Add in vanilla and salt. Mix in egg. Gradually add flour, and mix until a smooth dough forms. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Divide dough into 24 equal pieces. Roll into balls. Shape balls into 12-inch-long ropes. Twist each rope into a pretzel shape. Space 1 inch apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Spread some egg on the surface, sprinkle with some sugar and bake them at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for about 20-25 min or until surface is firm and golden brown.
- The more you knead the dough, better will be the biscuits.