Rainbow themed desserts are the In-thing these days. Internet is flooded with all kinds of unique creations and variations trying to incorporate the rainbow shades into all sorts of baked goods. I too thought of joining the tribe with my simplistic rainbow cookies.
These beautiful concentric “VIBGYOR” circles make an interesting treat, especially for kids. So mothers, lets dive into the recipe.
- 1 cup (128 grams) all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons (75 grams) fine sugar
- a pinch of salt
- 6 tablespoons (90 ml) oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Gel colours (Violet, Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange and Red)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (165 degree Celsius).
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together all-purpose flour, sugar, salt, oil. Give the mixture a quick stir and keep aside.
- In a small bowl, add water and vanilla and add it to the above mixture.
- Mix the above mixture well and knead the dough properly.
- Divide the dough in 6 equal parts. Colour the dough bowls with Violet, Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange and Red respectively.
- Roll the violet dough in a thin cylinder. Keep aside
- Roll the blue dough flat with length similar to the violet cylindrical dough and width should be able to totally cover the violet cylinder. Wrap the violet cylindrical dough in the blue dough and roll to form a big blue cylinder.
- Repeat the process for green, yellow, orange and red coloured dough respectively. Finally obtaining a big red cylinder.
- Slice it into desired thickness(The thick you need your cookie to be.)
- Place them on a greased baking tin atleast a cm apart.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (165 degree Celsius) for 10-15 min or until slightly hard to touch.
- The dough might break apart easily while rolling, but that is the sign of a crunchier baked cookie.
- The thinner you roll out the cookie dough, the crunchier would be the end result.