This bread recipe has to be entitled as the most versatile one, as it can be used as a base for tons of bread creations. Right from bread loaves, Italian pizza base, garlic bread, bread sticks to Hungarian monkey bread, Armenian lavash, Lebanese pita etc.
I have tried baking multiple variations of recipe from all over the world. It showcases the diversity of yields which the simple white bread recipe seed has germinated into.
Yield: Almost 1/2 kg dough
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 grams) fresh dry yeast
- ¾ teaspoon (4 grams) sugar
- 1/3 cup (75 grams) water
- ¾ cup (125 grams) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 grams) salt
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 grams) improver
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 grams) gluten
- ¾ teaspoon 3.25 grams oil
- Activate the fresh yeast by adding warm water and sugar to it. Cover it with plastic wrap and keep aside until it rises and gets foamy.
- In a large mixing bowl add flour, salt, improver and gluten. Give it a quick stir and make a well in the middle. Put yeast mixture in it. And mix until everything is combined.
- Once the dough starts to form add oil to it and keep kneading until soft and smooth dough is obtained.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it stand for a couple of hours until doubled in size (proofed).
- Dust a working surface with some flour and knock out the dough. White bread dough is ready. Now you make any desired items with this dough like bread sticks, garlic bread, dinner rolls, pesto rolls, braided bread, loaf, pizza base, etc.
- Keep bread in baking tray and cover it with a plastic wrap and let it sit in warm surroundings for another couple of hours to rise.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- When doubled, spread some egg on the surface and bake them at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for about 20-25 min or until surface is firm and golden brown.
- The more you knead the dough, fluffier is the bread.
- The more time you allow dough to proof, lighter is the baked bread.